Thursday 18 January 2007

There and Back again

www.goodaboom.com




Greetings! As you've probably noticed, this is my first diary entry for a few days, the reason being my trip south to Almeria province. My reasons for the trip were various. On Monday, I had a show in El Marchal, a small hamlet near the only slightly larger hamlet of Lubrin, a white-knuckle ride over the mountains from Bedar.
Upon easing my car out of the stygian gloom, I found the welcoming lights of Bar El Paniajo, and a good crowd, many of whom had braved the same mountain roads as myself!
The venue is run by Jessica and Ann-Marie, and they have a very popular restaurant section, judging by the smiles of the customers emerging from their tables.
The atmosphere was warm and friendly, and I performed intermittently between 8 and 11.30, with a small cat curled up behind me by the wood-burning stove that served as my backdrop!

The next morning, I headed to Las Bouganvillas, where I was to mount our Sport for All exhibition. (Check out Miki's diary and also of course, our 3D Gallery of the event) It took some time to get everything how I wanted it, but I was happy with the results. I also found time to reminisce with my friend, drumming legend Keith Webb, about his Paladin days, and his friendships with various rock luminaries, such as Lee Kerslake from Uriah Heep, and Mel Galley from Trapeze and Whitesnake.

I called in at one of Miki's clients, or to be precise, the recipient of a gift of a portrait from one of Miki's clients, a well-known local lawyer. As I went into her newly refurbished offices to leave some of our publicity, her secretary informed me the painting of her children had now become the screensaver on all of the office computers! I also found time to visit Allegria, where our bullfight exhibition moves next week, and I managed some pre-publicity for my show in Rayo Del Sol, Mojacar pueblo, next Sunday afternoon.



The village of Mojacar has always had a kind of magnetism for me. I have been associated with it, on and off, for around 20 years.(I first performed there in 1986 with the bass player from The Ivy League)
Situated as it is, seemingly glued to the mountainside, with its natural mountain stream servicing the beautiful Fuenta Publica, its narrow alleyways and walls could tell a thousand tales.From the roof of my apartment in nearby Turre, you can see the vilage at night, its lights twinkling like a fledgling galaxy, on its maiden flight to join its celestial brethren.

So, with publicity in place, exhibitions planned, and mounted, friends visited and concerts completed, I headed back up the motorway, the lights from the procession of cars turning it into the imaginary silver thread that connects Miki and I at all times. Only the length ever varies, and as I drove,the sun setting behind me, I imagined it drawing in, getting shorter and shorter, until we were together again in Albir.

No comments: