Wednesday 24 January 2007

Bulls on the Playa


www.goodaboom.com
So, following my show at Rayo Del Sol in Mojacar on Sunday, I spent Monday relocating Miki's popular Bullfight Exhibition from the town of Vera to the Allegria Restaurant on Mojacar Playa. Run by Belgian Couple Erik and Anita, it serves a mix of Belgian and Spanish cuisine, not to mention a massive English Breakfast! (I told you not to mention that:miki)

Anyway, after much thought, the Bulls were arranged in their new corral..Anita was delighted as I managed to cover a few holes in the wall, where it appeared an epileptic builder had been drilling with a blindfold on!

The tradition of the bullfight in Spain has long been a contentious issue, and is the subject of pressure from the European courts..however, I sense that, as with the attempts to tell the Spanish they have to abandon the siesta culture, it will all come to naught. There is a very strong part of me that comes out against the continuation of the bullfight. But how do you remove such deep-seated traditions overnight? As a boy, reading encyclopedias to learn about countries around the world, it was their differences that fascinated me, and the richness of the Flamenco and Bullfight culture defines Spain.
Furthermore, working with Miki, and seeing her create her "Corridas" at first hand, seeing the movement and grace through the Artist's eye, I acknowledge their beauty.
There is one thing I know for certain. Her Bullfight paintings stir something deep down in people. They touch them deeply.There is something primal and fascinating about man and beast in beautiful, violent and graceful harmony.

No comments: