Thursday 8 February 2007

Further On Up The Road

www.goodaboom.com
What was it Rex Harrison's Professor Higgins was trying to tell Audrey Hepburn's Eliza Doolittle? ah yes, "The Rain in Spain stays mainly in the plain." Well, I've got news for you Higgins old chum, it bloody doesn't! It chucks itself down on Albir for starters. But never let it be said that such aqueous disturbance dampens the spirit of creativity here on Planet Goodaboom, forsooth, nay! We may be a little soggy around the edges but inside there rests a...well, soggier interior....

Anyway, enough of this shilly-shallying. Music note: I'm listening to Slam Dunk by the DLR Band as I write this piece. Ol' diamond Dave's still got it, in my humble opinion. The guy reeks showbiz, and that ain't no bad thing, as he himself might put it. I managed to nail "My Baby Paints The Stars" after the fourth mix yesterday, so thats one down, two to go. Today, I revisited "Miss Hollywood" a song that tips a hat in some small way to Ben Folds, having a fairly piano led sort of groove going on. I'm having two major problems with this one, the first being my quite stunning ability to tie my fingers in a number of the Scout Movements favourite knots whilst trying to play a cohesive and aurally pleasing guitar solo. The second is trying to tell the story of the song. It's a tough discipline,getting your story across in a meaningful way within the confines of a pop song. The subject matter for this was a young starlet trying to reach the Hollywood dream, and being destroyed by a savage and bitchy female reviewer following her first break into the movies (The Miss Hollywood of the title) By the solo, she's done the movie, been savaged, and winds up back as a waitress in a diner nursing her wounds. The next bit needs to tell of the film critic turning up in the diner purely by chance, and I need to punch line the song with the ex-starlet waitress emptying the coffee jug on this woman and humiliating her in front of all her customers. The chorus lyrics will work great here, as the line will have a different meaning after the final verse. However, its proving really hard to get all the explanation of the scenario into the space provided. I'm leaning in the direction of just extending the verse in a totally random way, singing line after line until I've said what I need to, then hit the chorus regardless. This of course is the luxury you can afford yourself if you are not beholden to some record company with a power complex, and here at Goodaboom, the plan is to release stuff on our little label, cottage industry style, and look for licencing in different territories to supplement sales through our site.

Now, of course, we will never sell a million this way, but could I live with myself if I sold a million of the birdy song? That's the kind of damage to mankind inflicted by the likes of Pol Pot!
Check out the lyrics to "Funk Pop A Roll" by XTC from the album Mummer, and featuring our drummer with BC Sweet, Pete Phipps,I think they sum up the music business beautifully..

Funk pop a roll consumes you whole
Gulping in your opium so copiously from a disco
Everything you eat is waste
But swallowing is easy when it has no taste


Until the next time...

No comments: