Sunday 18 February 2007

The Emperor's New Clothes

www.goodaboom.com

Afternoon,all. I've just published the following article on my MySpace blog, but I'm in turbo-rant mode at the minute, so I'm giving it the benefit of a double-post in the hope that my blood pressure will ease after learning of the goings-on at The Brit Awards. Read on, and weep....

The Emperor's New Clothes

Is it just me?

There are times when I feel like the little boy in Hans Christian Andersen's tale "The Emperor's New Clothes".

I see an award such as "Outstanding contribution to Music" conferred upon Oasis, and I want to go around shaking everybody and pointing, shouting "but look, at them! they're rubbish!"


Doesn't anybody see this? Do you just have to be uncouth Mancunian louts whose breathtaking bigheadedness far outstrips their talents by a country mile? Is that qualification enough? I despair sometimes. People who can genuinely write a great, well-constructed song like Nik Kershaw are normally dismissed as lightweight 80's has-beens, when the truth is, he's one of the UKs greatest songwriters. So are Difford and Tilbrook from Squeeze. Can anyone honestly tell me that Oasis' song output even vaguely rivals Squeeze's for inventiveness and originality? Have Squeeze been awarded oustanding contribution to music? Didn't think so.


Next years recipient? Jade Goody. Probably.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

if it makes you feel any better (and it won't), the US Grammys tend to award either really crappy newbies OR award folks who are pretty wonderful for their most lackluster work.

the other night, when they gave lifetime achievement awards to the Doors and the Grateful Dead, they gave such short shrift to both bands, it's was a wonder why any of them bothered to attend at all. (don't let the door hit you on the butt, folks.) yep. i no longer take any stock in awards. they're rubbish.

~sher
http://wrekehavoc.wordpress.com/

Anonymous said...

You are so right concerning Nik Kershaw's songwriting. The man can turn out a tune!! Hopefully you have his newest, "You've Got To Laugh". If not, do yourself a favor and order it from his website. You will not be disappointed.

Olan
USA